Need information for your article or story? This section is for you.
Dr. Stephen Wangen is the co-founder and Medical Director of the IBS Treatment Center. He is a licensed and board certified physician, the award winning author of two books on solving digestive disorders, and a nationally recognized speaker. He has been seen and heard on ABC, NBC, and Fox as well as public radio and television. He was recently named one of Seattle’s Top Doctors by Seattle Magazine.
His passion for being a doctor and solving digestive problems comes from a lifelong obsession with optimizing health. Having suffered from IBS as a young man, Dr. Wangen dedicated his life to solving this complex problem. He now trains other doctors at the IBS Treatment Center in the new specialty of IBS medicine. Since 2005 the IBS Treatment Center, with locations in both Seattle and Los Angeles, has successfully helped thousands of patients from around the country and the world end their digestive problems.
He can be followed on his blog, Facebook, and Twitter, all of which can be found at IBSTreatmentCenter.com.
If you would like to contact him for any reason, please call 206-264-1111.
You can view selected press releases using the links below, or subscribe to our RSS feed using this link:
October 15, 2013 New Clinic Specialized in Treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome to Open in Santa Monica
September 20, 2010 IBS Treatment Center in Seattle Moves to New Building
December 19, 2009 IBS Treatment Center Calls on McCain to Support IBS Research
March 2, 2009 New Book Sheds Light On Gluten Intolerance Affecting Millions
May 13, 2008 IBS Treatment Center Offers New, Cutting-Edge Testing
November 29, 2007 IBS Treatment Center Celebrates 2nd Anniversary
November 14, 2007 Activia and Other Yogurt Touted as Digestive Cures May Make Digestive Problems Worse
November 6, 2007 IBS Treatment Center Offers Successful Treatments: Clinic Offers Options to End Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Time for the Holidays
April 19, 2011 IBS Treatment Center Seeks to Serve all the World
Selected Articles in the Print and Online Media about our Clinics
The IBS Treatment Center serves patients from all over the United States and beyond. Due to this national profile, the work of Dr. Wangen, the IBS Treatment Center and the Center for Food Allergies are sometimes covered in newspaper and online media reports. Some of the publishers grant us permission to use their articles and we provide them here for you.
- Coping Magazine published an article written by Dr. Wangen: “Food Allergies vs. Food Intolerances”. The article appears in Volume 14, Issue 4; the September/October 2011 issue (page 19). You can see a copy of it HERE.
- Dr. Wangen and the IBS Treatment Center are cited in “Health Care: Natural Solutions; Digestive Problems Require a Specialist” in the May issue of the Portland Alliance.
- Dr. Wangen is one of several experts cited in “Gluten: The Whole Story”, an article in Experience Life Magazine – November 2010 issue, by Catherine Guthrie.
- Dr. Wangen is a featured expert in the new book “Bottom Line’s Speed Healing” by Bill Gottleib (ISBN 0-88723-548-4). See the information on Page 218 of the hardcover edition. Copyright 2009.
- Dr. Wangen was the featured guest on a Needs.com teleseminar on January 19th, 2010. Needs.com also published an article entitled Irritable Bowel Syndrome – Known Causes and Proven Treatments on their site.
- What? No Stuffing in the Bird? How to avoid gluten and still enjoy a Thanksgiving feast, by Elizabeth Griffin, citing Dr. Wangen. Published in The Journal Newspapers on Monday, November 2, 2009. A copy of the article is available here.
- www.Reflux.org Summer 2009 Newsletter published an article by Dr. Wangen entitiled “A Hidden Epidemic: Reflux and Food Allergies”.
- Ask GFQ: Are the Flu Vaccines Gluten-free and is it Safe to Take Them if I have Celiac Disease? Dr. Wangen was cited as an expert for a report on the concern about those with celiac taking the flu vaccine. Article by Tiffany Janes, Published on GlutenFreeQuestion.com October 23rd, 2009.
- Celiac sufferers adapt to gluten-free diet A story about gluten intolerance in the York Daily Record in York Pennsylvania, published on August 4th, 2009.
- Yoga Journal published a story by Karen Kelly entitled Sweet, No Wheat in the August 2009 issue. Dr. Wangen is cited as an expert on non-celiac gluten intolerance. Yoga Journal, August 2009, Pages 31-33.
- Book Spotlight in Gig Quarterly – The Gluten Intolerance Group Magazine published an excerpt from “Healthier Without Wheat” by Dr. Wangen in the Spring, 2009 issue.
- Finding a Fix for IBS – Second in a two-part series on IBS by Wenda Reed. Published in Seattle Woman Magazine in July, 2009. (formerly at http://www.seattlewomanmagazine.com/articles/july09-7.htm)
- What’s Wrong with Your Gut? Diagnosing Irritable Bowel Syndrome – First in a two-part series on IBS by Wenda Reed. Published in Seattle Woman Magazine in June, 2009.(formerly at http://www.seattlewomanmagazine.com/articles/june09-4.htm)
- DESTINATION USA: IBS Treatment Center, Stephen Wangen, ND THIS WEEK IN MEDICAL TRAVEL TODAY; Volume 3, Issue 9 by Amanda Haar, Editor (May 1, 2009)
- “Some patients struggle with irritable bowel syndrome” By Taya Flores in the Lafayette, Indiana Journal & Courier Newspaper March 24, 2009
- You Don’t Have to Learn to Live with IBS Printed in The Journal Newspapers From July 3rd to August 6th, 2007.
- IBS Treatment Center aims to provide irritable bowel syndrome relief in time for the holidays Article by Matthew Hogg on the Environmental Illness Resource website. November 6, 2007
- No Gluten, Please – Article by Mary Jane Halligan in Seattle Woman Magazine on celiac disease and gluten intolerance. May, 2008.(formerly at http://seattlewomanmagazine.com/articles/may08-4.htm)
Radio, TV, Podcast, and Public Appearances
Dr. Wangen and other representatives of the IBS Treamtent Center and Center for Food Allergies are available for radio and TV interviews. Below you will find a list of some of his interviews. Some are available as podcasts or video downloads. Dr. Wangen has spoken at innumerable conferences, expositions, meetings, classes, and other public gatherings. To see where Dr. Wangen will be, check the latest Newsletter.
- Dr. Wangen was a featured speaker at the Charlotte NC GLUTEN & ALLERGEN FREE WELLNESS EVENT 2014 on March 29th, 2014
- Dr. Wangen and former patient Beate Chellete were featured guests on the popular “New Day” show on Seattle NBC affiliate KING5 March 26, 2014. You can view the interview on YouTube
- Dr. Wangen was a featured guest on the popular “New Day” show on Seattle NBC affiliate KING5 February 21st, 2014. You can view the interview on YouTube.
- Dr. Wangen appeared on the popular “Weekday” show on KUOW, National Public Radio at 94.9 FM in Seattle.
- Dr. Wangen was featured on Korean Television’s SBS network morning show in five 10-minute segments during July, 2012.
- Dr. Stephen Wangen was the guest October 14th, 2010 on The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore. Hear it on the web by going to The Living Low Carb Show.
- KUOW (NPR in Seattle) hosted Dr. Wangen and Shauna Ahern (Gluten Free Girl) on the daily morning show “Weekday” June 9th, 2010. You can listen to the show on the Weekday Show Website.
- The Celiac Maniac provides a Gluten Free Online Radio Show every Thursday. Dr. Wangen was the special guest on February 11th, 2010. You may be able to listen to the archive of the show on The Celiac Maniac.
- Phil Mikan interviewed Dr. Wangen on Talk of Connecticut Radio during the morning show January 20, 2010. The show focused on gluten intolerance and celiac disease.
- Dr. Wangen recorded an interview scheduled to air on most LifeTalk Radio affiliates on Tuesday, December 1, 2009 from 5 to 6 PM Eastern Time. You can listen to the show streamed at www.lifetalk.net or find a list of stations that are carrying the show at: http://www.lifetalk.net/stationList.html?type=one. [Note: you may have to register on the LifeTalk home page for this link to work.] The show also aired on Native Voice One www.nv1.org starting Monday November 30th, 2009. This is the network that is carried by NPR’s Public Radio Satellite System.
- KCPQ Morning News (KCPQ Fox 13) in Seattle: Dr. Wangen spoke on August 26th, 2009 at about 8:45 AM about gluten intolerance.
- WGN Midday News: Dr. Wangen was on the nationally televised “WGN Midday News” from WGN Chicago at 12:25pm Central Time August 14th, 2009. Dr. Wangen spoke about non-celiac gluten intolerance.
- ABC 7 News Sunday Morning: Dr. Wangen was on TV: “ABC 7 News Sunday Morning” WLS-TV Chicago at 6:47 AM Central Time on August 16th, 2009. Dr. Wangen discussed wheat/gluten allergies.
- The Health Show, a Northeast Public Radio show heard around the country on NPR stations hosted a discussion of Celiac with Dr. Wangen. The show aired the week of August 10th, 2009.
- Health Radio Network (34 nationally syndicated stations, and online at http://www.healthradionetwork.com. Dr. Wangen was interviewed by Barbara for her show Feelin’ Just Ducky.
- Sunday Magazine Show (aired June 28th, 2009). Dr. Wangen was interviewd by Host Tracey Morgan about Celiac and non-Celiac Gluten intolerance on the regionally syndicated show in Pennsylvania. Webcast was available for listening or download at http://y108.com/pages/2557020.php before the station was bought out by CBS.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: How to Avoid an Incorrect Diagnosis HealthTalk Webcast Date: July 28, 2008. This was a podcast/webcast interview and call-in show with Dr. Stephen Wangen and Dr. Lilani Perera about IBS and IBD diagnosis.